We bought a playset at Costco. We've always scoffed at people who have these things, what's wrong with climbing trees? But since we've decided to stay in our house and won't have climbing trees for years to come, we broke and bought one. It sat in 7 boxes in the garage until the rain stopped, then I organized it in the garage, which brought more rain. The kids were threatened with life and limb if they so much as got close to one of those post-its labeling the parts!
Then we began. Eric took a couple afternoons off work. We got to step 4 the first day, and 9 the second. There are 38. We moved it to the grass while we could still lift it, but it wasn't square anymore, so we had to move it back.
Neighbor kids couldn't wait to play on it. As soon as we had floors on they were all over it. Who needs ladders and rockwalls and slides?
Some neighbors helped us haul it to the grass, we set it on some stepping stones, and it's actually pretty level. I just worked on it here and there for another week or so...



And finished it in time for Mother's Day. The kids have loved it. We all fit at the little picnic table (behind the rockwall) for dinner. It's great shade, and the swings have been lots of fun. Doxie can climb the step ladder and even came down the slide--when she didn't understand yet what it was. She doesn't like to go on it anymore. I thought it was loads of fun to build, and a very satisfying accomplishment. Now I can throw around terms like lag bolt, nylock nut, acorn nut, carriage bolt and wood screw and actually know what they mean. And I'm very good with a ratchet and drill. I told the kids they better really love it, because after building the thing, it wasn't just about the money anymore, it was blood, sweat and tears (I fell off the ladder once, and whacked my face when the ratchet slipped and a wood clamp fell on my nose).
No comments:
Post a Comment