
We hiked Angel's Landing, a notoriously freaky hike. I actually never felt unsafe, but it was just weird how easy it would be to step a foot to the side and plunge. But with the chain and moving slow and focusing only on the next step, it was totally doable. In fact, it was also weird how quickly we became accustomed to seeing the valley floor in miniscule below out of the corner of our eyes. I had expected to the way down to be scarier, but by then we were so acclimated that we hardly relied on the chain. This is the outlook from Scout's oh, something or other. I can't remember the name just now. Anyway, this is 2 miles up, and the next half mile to the top is where the chains come in. The destination is that second highest spot in this picture, straight up from the brim of Eric's hat.

Looking down to the river below. Far, far below.

Me heading up the path. People were all very cooperative with waiting for a safe place to pass. A lot of people were doing this hike, of varied ages. Thankfully I saw no young children!

In the foreground is the chain, or lifeline. In the background you can see what is meant by sheer cliffs. That is what you stand on the edge of when you go to any of the edges. Cliffs on all sides, no slopes.

Brave little Indian Paintbrush clinging to the rock. Notice the valley view beyond. This is almost at the top.

This is the view of where we went, to the top of this rock in the center. Right to the edge of the top! Our pictures don't really capture the feeling of being up there. I suggest you search google images for Angel's Landing. There are some really good photos. The following site has two really good ones
jonv.flystrip.com/Utah/Utah.htm
2 comments:
So Bruce and I just figured out you had a blog. I'm not sure how we missed it, unless you've been trying to keep it a secret:)
I really felt like I'd conquered a fear after Angel's Landing. I'm not one for heights but between the peer pressure of not wanting to be the only one to chicken out and then just getting so used to it, like you were talking about, I made it all the way.
BEAUTIFUL pics!!
Post a Comment